Monday, June 11, 2007

I never thought I'd witness myself say this, but....

...I think I like cats?

Tonight, I decided I'd end my sit-on-my-butt-as-long-as-possible streak, and go run. So after work, I got on my running clothes and my super-cute pink running shoes (seriously, who wouldn't want to take up running after they saw these cuties?), and I made my way to Cooper Creek Park. After sweating and panting and trotting (no, what I performed tonight was by no means considered a 'run', and anyone who witnessed what I did would completely agree with me), I come across this itty-bitty kitty cat. Now, if you know me, you know I'm not the biggest fan of cats. And by that, I mean I pretty much hate them. But who can resist an adorable kitty? After I run off the cute boy who was petting it (probably with the buckets I was sweating and a stench that could have knocked out even the toughest of schnozzes), I walk up to it and it immediately begins purring and wanting it's head scratched. I was in awe.....It liked me! The compassionate person I am (no, really, I am! I think...) knew it wasn't right for that itty-bitty kitty to be outside without any identification on it, and no owner in sight. So I park my nasty, sweaty, and smelly self (to be honest, I really don't think she cared!) on the grass with the kitten, and we played for about 20 minutes. And during that time, I contemplated what to do with the adorable creature. If I was at home, there would have been no question about it, I would have taken it home with me. But since I'm here in Columbus, and living in someone elses apartment, there would be no way I could keep it. But thoughts like keeping it for the night and taking it to the humane society in the morning, or dumping it at someone elses's apartment while I find it a home, all of those crossed my mind. Meanwhile, I asked everyone who passed if they wanted a cute, adorable, and friendly kitty, because she was obviously not supposed to be out here, and it was getting dark. And after about the 10th person passed and shook their head at me (and in their head they were thinking "You silly girl, what idiot would want a cat without being forced or tricked into it?"), I just said a prayer to God, asking Him to provide a way for this kitty, and if that way would give me a peace of mind, that would be wonderful. (I somehow always make it about me, don't I?) And what would you know, the next couple I asked said they'd love a kitty, but would need to make some arrangements first. They both got on their cell phones, asking around for supplies and permission (hey, gaining a cat when you go to the park thinking you are going to shed a few pounds can't be easy). I clear it with them that they are going to take care of it, and they said definitely. Thus, our God pulls through yet again. And I got my exercise, a kitty got a home, and God is just awesome.

So I think I have to like cats now. I mean, I do like cat's now. Weird, isn' it. I've been reading a lot of flirty girly novels lately, you know, the ones about the 20-something year old's who work for PR firms, live in New York City, and hook-up with a different (but ALWAYS attractive) guy every night, and they all seem to have a cat, if not multiples. And the way I'm going right now, I'll be single for a while, and I might as well have some company in my super cute apartment (wherever it is, but I know for certain it's going to be way cute). So, yay me, I like cats!

No comments: