Monday, July 09, 2007

I lost a friend, somewhere along in the bitterness...

---The Fray.

Today, I had a defining moment. You know, one of those that stay with you no matter where life takes you. It was a good moment. Lately those moments haven't been good. They've been the kind that come to me and say "Who are you kidding, you don't have a soul mate. You're destined to live the rest of your life alone". So uplifting, I know. But today, I had a good defining moment.

I've been searching for the perfect shelves since I moved into this apartment. I've looked everywhere, I swear. In Columbus, in Snellville, and even in places in between. So, I went back to Staples today, and discovered that not only did they have my dream shelves, but they were in stock! It was obviously going to be a good day. So I pick out the lucky shelves who get to live in my super cute room for the next year or so, and ask the kind Staples worker to help me take it up to the check out desk. (Which, by the way, was so swarmed with elementary tots, that I am seriously considering adopting a baby, giving it away, then befriending it after it's grown out of that awkward 10 years.) He helps me to the desk, and then had to help me to my car because this shelf set was so very big. After sweating and working for 15 minutes, we got the thing into my car. (And another plus, I learned how to put the seats down in my car! What a day!) As I was pulling away, it dawned on me..... how in the world was I supposed to get this 6 foot, 50 pound set of wooden shelves (not assembled) OUT of my car, and INTO my apartment? I'm a single girl, so no boyfriend. I don't know anyone in my complex, so no calling people to help. Roommate was at work, so I was just stuck. So, my genius neurons started pumping even more genius synapses and I came up with a solution. I opened the box, and took in a few pieces at a time. And seriously, those were heavy too. And I'm a pretty strong girl. However, my brains trumped my physical capabilities today!

So what, you ask, was my defining moment? I'm so freakin independent, it isn't funny. As I was carrying in my shelves, assembling them, and then decorating them, it dawned on me. If I'm single for the rest of my life, I am going to be perfectly fine. God tells me everyday, through different situations, people, and by just speaking to me, that I am so capable of living on my own. My plant keeping skills may need some work, but generally I'm good at taking care of myself and those under my care. So, my defining moment. I have the assurance that if I am to be single (unmarried), for the rest of my life, I am going to be just fine. I have brains in my head and feet in my shoes, and a God who loves me so much that He whispers encouraging words in my ear everyday to keep my chin up and my head held high.

So, yay me. Just call me Rachel Freakin-Independent Weber. I love defining moments!

No comments: