Seriously, I love The Rocket Summer.
I've been thinking a lot lately about how my life is different than other people my age. I've always been a little bit more mature, maybe it's cause I'm older cause I have a September birthday, or cause I always hung out with the older kids. But for whatever reason, I've always been a little bit ahead of my time. Take now, for instance. I'm enrolled in 10 hours of summer classes (which are not easy, whatever anyone tells you), and I've been working 20+ hour weeks at The Hughston Clinic. I don't know many people who voluntarily take summer classes after their freshman year. But for some reason, I'm just driven to do well, and get out. The track I'm on now will get me out of school in 3 or 3.5 years. And my job. I don't know anyone else who has a business job like I do. At least not anyone my age. And it's weird- I LIKE my job. I seem to say that about any job I've had, but it's the truth. I have so much responsibility, it's a little bit ridiculous, but I love it.
And I've always had a job. As soon as I turned 16, I got a job at Chickfila. Maybe it's because my mom and dad paid their own way through college, but they have always instilled in me the need to work for one's own self. And by that I mean one's life. True, I don't pay my rent or tuition, but I pretty much cover everything else. And I actually enjoy having a job, because I like supporting myself. I absolutely hate asking my parents for money. A job is just something that has always been important to me.
And sometimes I get jealous of my friends who get to go be camp counselors for the summer, or spin on a DCI colorguard for the entire summer. Or even get to lay out and get a tan everyday by the pool. But then I remember what I'm doing. I'm getting my schooling done quick, and I'm making money for myself. I'm building a resume, and gaining experience in the health care field. So, sometimes I get jealous that I've launched myself into this grown up, coorporate world, when my friends are hanging out and experiencing new things. But, I'm also really proud of myself. I have a steady job. I'm on track to graduate early. I support myself. And I'm an independant woman. Yay, me!
Alright, I think I just needed to justify why I have hardl any friends and zero social life. But, dammit, I'm getting out of Columbus as soon as possible!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
ummmm youre wonderful. i miss you a lot, and we need to hang out asap when i get back! have a wonderful summer being a grown up and enjoy working and being awesome. i love you and miss you and will see you in august!! ciao!
Post a Comment